Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Sister is a Marathoner

My sister Angela is a marathoner.  I say that because she has already done two marathons and countless half-marathons; she is seriously running all of the time. It is part of her life, part of who she is these days.

So it was wholly appropriate that I was with her yesterday when we saw the news about the tragic events at the Boston Marathon - as my organization had a team running in it and my sister nearly did the run for us herself.  Striking close to home was the fact that merely the day before the Boston Marathon, I was on the sidelines of the More/Fitness Magazine Women's Half-Marathon in Central Park - cheering her on with 2 year old Luka on my shoulders.

My sister is a Marathoner.  And I am a spectator, a cheerleader, a supporter, and proud family member.  From the sidelines of her first marathon, and every race since, I am moved to tears by the incredible strength and determination of these runners -  of my sister.  I often stand there in complete awe and amazement at her drive and dedication, and as tears stream down my face I think to myself - that's MY SISTER doing that.  Look at her! She is AMAZING! What an inspiration! Go! You are doing it! I love you!

Yesterday, John was standing near the finish line at the Boston Marathon to cheer on his daughter-in-law Sara Carr, who was running as part of Team ALLY.  I can easily imagine the extraordinary pride he felt and the surge of emotions in seeing this incredible accomplishment in-person, as I feel every time I watch my sister run - it is overwhelming.  He was on the sidelines, a spectator, a cheerleader, a supporter, a proud family member - and moments later he was sharing an ambulance with an 8 year old boy who did not make it.  John himself is currently in extremely critical condition.  It is unimaginable.

My sister is a Marathoner.  And while she may think I go to her races solely for her, what us spectators know - us cheerleaders and avid supporters and family members along the sidelines - is that we gain so much by being there.  The honor of being a small part of something incredible, the overflowing pride in being associated with someone so strong and amazing, the collateral glow we get from someone we love accomplishing something so meaningful, the inspiration in watching the hard work come to fruition and hearing the stories of the journey to greatness.  Because that is what we are witnessing, at these moments, with these people, greatness.

Events like what happened yesterday at the Boston Marathon remind us to hold our loved ones close.  Like a scene from "Sliding Doors," we all have stories about parallel universes - who could have been where when it happened and who narrowly escaped due to wild circumstances or luck or whatever you may believe.

Our hearts are breaking for those injured in Boston, and the runners they were there to support.  We are them and they are us.  But it also makes me think of acts of extraordinary courage, strength, determination and just absolute awesomeness... of those incredible runners, of the people who crossed the finish line after suffering 26.2 miles, of the cowboy-hat peace activist who acted like a true hero and jumped into action to help stop the bleeding of man who was seriously injured, and all of those who ran toward the injured.  I have to believe this is also what it means to live balls to the wall - to live life as if it matters, as if every person matters, every decision matters, and every mile.

My sister is a Marathoner. And I am so honored to be a spectator to her greatness, a cheerleader for her awesomeness, a supporter for her balls to the wall endeavors, and proud family member at every finish line. Even the invisible ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment