Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Operation Baby Separation

I knew it had to happen. For months I have known it was past due. And finally I did it. I had my first night away from Luka since he was born over 15 months ago.

It was a bit like a staycation. We didn't stray far from home, and we didn't do much more than eat and see a movie (and eat again). But it was an important milestone in Operation Baby Separation - acknowledging that Luka and I are not one person. And that it is okay for us to be apart sometimes. And that he can in fact be totally happy in the care of others (thanks Mom). And that he is able to sleep through the night even without me listening intently from 20 feet away. He is fine without me. And I learned that I am fine (even better than fine) when I can take a break and get away and not have to think about someone else's needs the first second I wake up and the last minute before I fall asleep. Its a nice lesson and one that I think will need a lot of practice, but the first step was the hardest.

Phase I of (what I can only assume will be a lifelong process) Operation Baby Separation was a success. Someday I might have to be gone for more than 26 hours, and at least now we had a dress rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment